The automotive reed switches/sensors market is expected to register a CAGR of 5.8% during the forecast period (2020-2025).
- Technological advancements in the sensor and switch technology have resulted in advanced, miniature, and highly reliable reed switches, acting as a driver for the employment of these switches in the automotive industry.
- Changing consumer preferences for safer driving experience have also forced the manufacturers to seek better safety sensors, like pedal angle sensors, ABS, and EBS.
- Reliability and durability are challenges for reed switch users. Reed switches have several inherent disadvantages, including susceptibility to breakage issues during installation and its susceptibility to shock or vibration applications, lower durability, a limited life due to the mechanical nature of the switch, as well as issues due to the contact bounce. When leads on the reed switches are soldered into the circuit, they bend significantly, which can easily crack the glass enclosure of the switch, making the switch unusable. Therefore, reed switch manufacturers carefully provide specific installation instructions, in order to limit this breakage.
Key Market Trends
Safety Systems to Witness High Demand for Reed Switches/Sensors
Reed sensors have been used as an effective passive safety system to alert the driver. Reed sensors for early brake sensing is one of the major and common usages of automotive reed sensors as mechanisms to alert drivers about possible collision or accident, during the application of brakes.
With a rise in the number of accidents at the global level, the demand for safety features has been increasing, especially in the mid-level vehicles. Additionally, with an aim to reduce the number of accidents and enhance consumer’s safety, many countries across the world have introduced safety norms in the automotive industry. For instance,
- In February 2017, the Indian government made it mandatory for all cars and mini-buses to install anti-lock braking system (ABS) by April 2019.
- Additionally, in July 2018, Hyundai Motor India Ltd (HMIL) announced its Sriperumbudur-based manufacturing plant to be ready, in order to meet the safety and emission norms well in advance, before its mandatory industry implementation in 2019.
- All the models to be manufactured in Chennai plant may be equipped to meet the BS-VI technology, along with the car and pedestrian safety norms, as well as airbags, and ABS as a standard.
The above-mentioned trends across the world are likely to drive the demand for reed sensors/switches for vehicle safety systems, during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific Continues to Capture Major Market Share
The growing automobile sector in the Asia-Pacific region, with India and China emerging as automotive part manufacture hubs for the western automobile giants, is expected to drive the market for reed switches in this region.
Over the past couple of years, the reed switch market in the Asia-Pacific region had grown rapidly, with a global share of around 35%, followed by North America and Europe. In a nutshell, automobile manufacturers are now focusing on sourcing more reliable sensors, like the reed switches that are also economically feasible.
The automotive reed switches/sensors market is highly fragmented in nature, due to the presence of many regional players. However, some of the major players, like Continental AG, Standex International Corp., Littelfuse Inc., and PIC GmbH, captured significant shares in the market.
The reed switch manufacturers are currently focusing on making the existing switches smaller, better, and durable. These developments are expected to accelerate the demand for the aforementioned type of reed switches in the market.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter s Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Application Type
5.1.1 Cruise Control
5.1.2 Infotainment Systems
5.1.3 Safety Systems
5.1.4 Other Application Types
5.2 Vehicle Type
5.2.1 Passenger Cars
5.2.2 Commercial Vehicles
5.3.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 Rest of North America
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Rest of the World
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Other Countries
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 Aleph America Corporation
6.2.2 Coto Technology
6.2.3 SMC Corp.
6.2.4 TE Connectivity Ltd
6.2.5 Littelfuse Inc.
6.2.6 Continental AG
6.2.7 Reed Relays and Electronics India Limited
6.2.8 Standex International Corp.
6.2.9 PIC GmbH
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS