The Asia-Pacific diesel generator market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 5.37% over the period of 2020-2025. The targets of the governments of various countries to achieve significant improvement in the rural electrification rate, increase in power outages in the urban areas, and the longer timeframe required to set up the transmission and distribution infrastructure are some of the driving factors for the diesel generator market. On the flip side, the increasing availability of natural gas and the rapidly expanding natural gas generator technology, increasing deployment of renewables as an alternative power source, and the maintenance challenges for diesel generators are the restraining factors for the market studied.
- The industrial sector is accounted for the largest share of the revenue from the sale of diesel generators in 2019 owing to the increasing demand for continuous and reliable power supply from the industrial sector.
- The commercial and industrial sectors of emerging economies, the residential sector of developed economies, and the increasing need for power in defence operations are expected to create significant opportunities for market participants in the near future.
- China accounted for the largest share in the market in 2019, with majority of the demand coming from across the nation and rising commercial office spaces and small scale vendor market.
Key Market Trends
Industrial Sector to Dominate the Market
- In 2019, the industrial sector is estimated to account for the largest share in the diesel generator market. Industrial operations are mainly dependent on electricity generated from diesel generators during power outages (to avoid production risks) and in regions where grid access is limited.
- The industrial sector, which includes mining, manufacturing, agriculture, and construction, accounts for the largest share of energy consumption of any end-use sector. Therefore, the increasing demand for continuous and reliable power supply from these industries, especially from healthcare facilities, pharmaceutical industries, and manufacturing facilities, is expected to escalate the demand for diesel generators.
- In June 2019, Wärtsilä launched a modular solution in power plants. The Wärtsilä Modular Block power plant solution includes pre-fabricated, modularly configured, and expandable enclosure for Wärtsilä medium-speed 34SG gas engine generators and incorporating engine-specific auxiliary units.
- In May 2019, Caterpillar launched Cat XQP30, a 50/60 Hz mobile diesel generator with a prime power rating of 30 kVA. It includes features such as forklift pockets, dragging points, and a lifting arch for ease of transportation.
- China and India are expected to witness robust industrial growth in the coming years on account of the sharp increase in manufacturing sectors, which is expected to drive the demand for diesel generators in the industrial sector.
- Furthermore, government initiatives to expand the industrial sector, especially in China and India, are expected to continue propelling the demand for diesel generators over the forecast period.
China to Dominate the Market
- China is the leading diesel generator market in the Asia-Pacific region owing to increasing infrastructure projects, widening power demand-supply gap, expansion of manufacturing facilities across the nation, and rising commercial office spaces.
- The country benefits from the cost and effectiveness of diesel generators, with improved living standards increasing the demand for power back-up devices.
- Factors such as the expansion of existing manufacturing units across the country and the dedicated ‘Made in China’ initiative launched by the Chinese central government are expected to drive the diesel generator market in the country.
- In addition, the rapid growth in various end-use sectors, such as infrastructure, telecommunication, and information technology (IT) & IT-enabled services is expected to further spur the demand for diesel generators in China.
- China has inadequate gas pipeline network, which creates a major hurdle for most industries with gas requirement. Although the government is investing heavily to ramp up this capacity, this is expected to restrain the growth of the gas generator market, creating an opportunity for diesel generators.
The Asia-Pacific diesel generator market is fragmented. Some of the key players in this market include Cummins Inc, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Engine & Turbocharger, Ltd, Yanmar Holdings co. Ltd, Caterpillar Inc., and Mahindra Powerol Ltd.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2025
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Below 75 kVA
5.1.2 75-350 kVA
5.1.3 Above 350 kVA
5.3.1 Standby Backup Power
5.3.2 Prime/Continuous Power
5.3.3 Peak Shaving Power
5.4.4 South Korea
5.4.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Cummins Inc
6.3.2 Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Engine & Turbocharger, Ltd
6.3.3 Yanmar Holdings co. Ltd
6.3.4 Caterpillar Inc
6.3.5 Mahindra Powerol Ltd
6.3.6 Generac Power Systems
6.3.7 Doosan Corporation
6.3.8 Honda Siel Power Products Ltd
6.3.9 Kohler Co
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS